What should you do if you are arrested for a serious crime?
It is normal to be frightened and scared about your future after making a mistake. We understand that bad things happen to good people. When people are under stress, many times they make poor and hasty decisions. It is important that you understand what you SHOULD DO, and what you SHOULD NOT DO in order to protect yourself and to provide you or someone you know with the strongest criminal defense possible.
Criminal penalties can be harsh. A criminal conviction can bring large fines, can cause job loss / harm to your career, and can ruin your reputation – now and in the future. It is critical that you obtain legal representation immediately. Legal support and guidance in the early stages of your case, and throughout the progression of your case is critical. The sooner you consult with a lawyer, the more developed your criminal defense strategy will be. Our goal is to protect you from a conviction and the consequences and penalties that come as a result of being found guilty.
What can you do to help protect yourself?
- Do NOT talk to the police.
- If it applies, DO NOT consent to a police request to search your property. The police or law enforcement MUST obtain a search warrant WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT.
- Pay to attention to whether or not the police have read you your rights. The police MUST read you your rights prior to ASKING you any questions.
- Be HONEST with your attorney. We cannot help you to the best of our ability if you are not forthcoming about ALL the circumstances that led to your arrest. Tell the truth – we cannot help develop the strongest defense possible without knowing ALL the facts.
- Obtain legal representation BEFORE appearing before a judge. It is HIGHLY advised that you consult with an attorney before making any public statements regarding the charge(s) against you.
- The criminal justice system can be intimidating. Make sure you give yourself the strongest defense possible. The consequences of a criminal conviction, and a criminal record can affect your life now and for the rest of your life. DO NOT take a chance on your future. Contact a skilled, experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney to help you!
At The Law Office of Robert Kerr, LLC we are dedicated to providing our clients with the most effective and strongest legal defense possible, we work vigorously to protect your legal rights and freedom. Call or email us today for a free consultation and case review.
We help people and families in Chicago and throughout the Chicagoland suburbs.
Call (312) 955-4400 or (630) 537-1574 now for HELP!